The World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and improving access to development information and data.
The World Bank Group is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Transport Specialist
Job Id: 171919
Job Family: Transportation
Job Type: Professional & Technical
Recruitment: International Hire
- GTI07 is looking for a Senior Transport Specialist with a background in transport infrastructure, transport economics, policy development, planning or engineering, and project implementation.
- With the expansion of operations and to meet the projected demand from clients, we seek a seasoned professional with proven operational, analytical and policy dialogue experience specifically in transport and logistics infrastructure, corridor integration/optimization, multimodal transportation system, public private partnership (PPP) and extensive knowledge of the policy agenda in Nigeria and in the region.
- The selected candidate will be based in Abuja and is expected to have expertise in at least two of the transport sub-sectors, including urban transport, roads, railways, logistics infrastructure (freight), and transport corridors.
- In particular, the Senior Transport Specialist will:
- Lead and manage a number of transport operations at each stage of the project cycle for lending (preparation, appraisal, implementation, and completion);
- Manage existing projects related to transport connectivity and logistics infrastructure;
- Contribute to policy dialogue to enhance the ability of clients to respond to emerging issues;
- Initiate PPP-led activities and build long-term business relationships with national and local government stakeholders, private sector and development partners, through policy dialogue, strategic communications, and outreach; and
- Participate in knowledge sharing activities and staff mentoring.
- S/he is expected to be fully versed in initiating projects under PPP frameworks, broader transport sector policy reforms including national transport policy agenda in Nigeria, and institutional development in the transport sector.
- S/he will closely collaborate with other Global Practices.
- GTI07 is led by a Practice Manager (PM), based in Washington DC, to whom the selected candidate will report.
- While Bank practitioners work primarily in one region, they are expected to support operations in other regions and to seek support from entire practice to address client needs.
- Over 65 staff members are located in the regional country offices and the rest are based in HQ.
- The decentralization of staff seeks to improve the level of responsiveness to client requests but close links with HQ based staff ensures that relevant global knowledge is identified and applied.
Duties and Accountabilities
T&I Practice would like to hire a Senior Transport Specialist to assist in preparing and supporting the implementation of the transport portfolio in Nigeria. The primary objectives of the assignment will be to:
- Lead, manage and participate in task teams to prepare and supervise technical assistance and advisory activities particularly in transport engineering, transport corridors, logistics infrastructure, and transport policy with a focus on Nigeria;
- Lead discussions on enabling policy interventions in Nigerian transport sector, National Transport Policy, and use of evidence based planning.
- Participate in the policy dialogue, together with other development partners, under the guidance of the Practice Manager;
- Provide credible insights and share best practice on strategic reforms in road/rail and maritime transport, port management, multimodal options and freight logistics.
- Demonstrate assessment of market potential leveraging multimodal transport system and road/rail freight;
- Participate in professional development and knowledge sharing activities in the transport sector and contribute specific knowledge both within the assigned country and in the Bank;
- Working with the various Global Solution Groups and Community of Practices, help develop knowledge products/training activities to improve best practices in the transport sector both within and outside the Bank; and
- Provide coaching and on-the-job mentoring to junior team members in the unit.
- Promote the participation of the private sector in the financing and delivery of transport logistics work and corridor improvements;
- Lead and participate in preparing new lending projects.
- The candidate is expected to manage a portion of the Bank’s transport portfolio in Nigeria including the preparation of one/two new operations per year, and support other project teams during preparation and implementation of ongoing projects.
- The focus should remain on sector technical issues ranging from policy reform, corridor connectivity and transport logistics, general institutional setups, and PPP-led initiatives, but also those that may surface due to client demand and need.
- Lead and participate in the supervision of transport projects under implementation primarily in Nigeria.
- The selected candidate is expected to provide technical expertise during implementation of ongoing transport projects.
- The candidate will lead frequent field visits to project sites across Nigeria, and review ongoing works, and hold discussion with counterparts, stakeholders in the country and in the region.
- Develop new business opportunities in the Transport sector in Nigeria and Southern Africa region by identifying key priority areas for engagement including connectivity, corridors’ improvements, urban mobility (BRTA) and logistics parks/hubs using PPP Frameworks;
- Initiate dialogue with stakeholders on innovative logistics solutions, share international experience with freight flows and logistics solutions.
- Assist country teams in including the Transport agenda in the Country Partnership Strategy and macro dialogue, lead and/or provide critical inputs to the design and execution of policy and research initiatives, and conceive and promote innovations in sector policies and strategies in the area of transport;