Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job title: WASH and Shelter Coordinator - M / W
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
About the job
- The WASH & Shelter Coordinator will be responsible for coordination of WASH and Shelter activities in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states, Nigeria with a primary focus on providing emergency lifesaving access to water, sanitation, hygiene and shelter/NFIs for conflict-affected IDPs/returnees and host communities in North East Nigeria.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes for the achievement of the WASH and shelter output results and ensure effective collaboration with other WASH and Shelter actors.
- With other external support agencies, analyze north east Nigeria WASH and shelter sector challenges, trends, programmes and projects, with a focus on WASH and shelter outcomes, using frameworks, analysis and tools available in the sector.
- Produce materials for WASH and shelter programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships and support fund-raising.
- Interact with global and regional initiatives and partnerships for WASH.
- Monitor, report and certify the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocations, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report issues to the DRC’s senior management for timely resolution.
- Manage the implementation, monitoring and documentation of WASH action research and innovation (technical or systems), ensuring rigorous monitoring and wide sharing of results.
- Prepare learning/knowledge products, covering innovative approaches and good practices, to support overall WASH sector development.
- Initiate and contribute to the systematic assessment of WASH sector capacity gap analysis, in collaboration with government and other stakeholders, and support the design of initiatives to strengthen capacities systematically.
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- To be successful in this role we expect you to thorough knowledge of WASH and Shelter / NFIs operations and implementation Moreover, we also expect the following: