Solidarites International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter.
SI has started activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August 2016 in the fields of Wash and is now intervening in 4 areas of the state for Wash and Shelter activities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Coordinator
Job number: SRH03516
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Domaine de competence: Water Sanitation and Hygiene promotion
Contract Type: Short term contract
Desired start date: 01/10/2019
Duration of the mission: 1 year
About the mission
The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in Nigeria and SI is answering the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood. Seven programs are currently running:
- Multi-sectorial project over 3 years in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba and Hawul in consortium with ALIMA and funded by EuropeAid
- Logistic Platform project funded by WFP in Monguno
- Emergency WASH and Shelter response funded by OFDA in Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa, Ngala
- Emergency WASH in Health funded by ECHO - in consortium with ALIMA in Maiduguri and Monguno
- Emergency WASH funded by ECHO in Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa
- WASH response for vulnerable IDPs and host communities in Dikwa funded by CDC
- Emergency WASH response for new onset manmade disaster in Ngala funded by NHF
- This mission has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the needs in the area and to ensure humanitarian impact. The teams are well staffed with very diverse profiles.
Here are the key numbers about the mission:
- 5 bases (Maiduguri, Abuja, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno) plus Coordination Office in Maiduguri.
- The number of expatriates is around 20
- The national staff are approximately 200
- The total budget of the mission is around 7,5 million euros
About the Job
- The WASH coordinator contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of WASH.
- He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations.
- He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of WASH programs implemented in the intervention country.
- He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of WASH.
The Main Responsibilities
- Propose and develop a sector-based strategy in accordance with SI’s policies and priorities for the intervention country.
- Support the Deputy Country Director in the monitoring and analysis of the WASH sector and the analysis of donors’ strategies for WASH activities
Relevance and quality of projects:
- Propose and organize evaluation missions
- Approve the technical approaches and aspects of projects for WASH activities
- Ensure that all WASH programs are implemented respecting Solidarités International annual operational strategy, technical requirements, and the criteria stipulated by financial backers.
- Ensure the relevance and consistency of WASH programs vis-à-vis the needs of the local populations.
Coordination, technical support and operational monitoring:
- Ensure that the planning and monitoring timetable is consolidated / validated
- Approve the quality criteria and performance indicators of WASH programs proposed by the program managers.
- Provide a technical and methodological support to program managers for the planning and implementation of WASH activities
- Supervise and support the WASH program managers, monitor and evaluate WASH activities implemented
- Propose the reorientation of WASH activities according to changing context and indicators
- Ensure that Solidarités International’s capitalization tools are correctly used and disseminated throughout HQ (technical unit and desks)
- Form a network of WASH experts, develop technical partnerships with others actors in this sector of the intervention zone and regularly keep the technical unit informed of this
- In coordination with the technical unit, capitalize on the intervention methods and techniques, and on the experiences acquired by Solidarités International and others actors in this activity field
- Welcome and brief expatriates working on WASH programs
- Identify training requirements within the WASH team and the resources available in the work area
- Implement technical training in line with operational needs identified by training requirements
- Evaluate and assess the performance of collaborators under his/her direct supervision
- Actively participate in the organization of regional technical weeks and compiling reports of these work sessions
Reporting / communication / representation:
- Support the Deputy Country Director with fundraising and the negotiation and examination of project proposals relating to his/her activity
- Consolidate WASH activity reports and supervise the preparation annexes linked to WASH activities for reports and/or financial donors
- Ensure that SI is represented at all meetings or forums concerning WASH activities