Adam Smith International are an award-winning professional services business that delivers real impact, value and lasting change through projects supporting economic growth and government reform internationally. Our reputation as a global leader has been built on the positive results our projects have achieved in many of the world’s most challenging environments.
Adam Smith International has a strong corporate presence globally, with 146 current projects across 49 countries and over 1,000 staff and associates. Headquartered in London, our regional headquarters are based in Africa (Nairobi, Abuja, and Pretoria), Asia Pacific (Sydney) and South Asia (Delhi), with numerous registered offices across Africa and Asia.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: West Africa Project Director
Tracking Code: 214-140
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
About the Role
The Project Director has three sets of responsibilities within the Africa team:
- Project Director of several programmes in Africa. The programmes to be assigned to this role or roles will be confirmed upon appointment but will include programmes in some of the following countries: Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Liberia. The location of the position will be in proximity to the assigned programmes.
- Country Leadership responsibilities will be layered on top of Project Director responsibilities, principally ensuring that in the assigned country a coherent strategy is being followed across projects, that projects and operations are in compliance with all national, corporate and client regulations and laws, that all staff in the country are appropriately supported, satisfied and performing, that ASI has a healthy and mutually respectful professional network in the country.
- Business Development responsibilities will comprise opportunity scoping and lead generation, and sometimes bid management in collaboration with technical colleagues. This will principally be related to assigned leadership countries.
- Project Direct assigned programmes & overall oversight of delivery to ensure maximum level of impact, quality, client satisfaction, staff job satisfaction and performance, lowest level of risks and issues, meeting financial requirements.
- Coordinate resources effectively to support high-impact delivery (knowledge groups, technical teams)
- Manage direct reports – typically project managers, team leaders, country coordinators, operations managers – to ensure high performance, job satisfaction, high-impact project delivery, successful implementation of country strategies including business development targets.
- Actively manage country risks, including reporting upwards via Country Level Risk Register, and follow documented risk processes including escalation.
- Oversee Country Operations, Compliance & Duty of Care
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with executive and senior clients, potential clients, government, partners and Associates.
- Strong country knowledge across sectors, including up to date political economy understanding.
- Develop simple country strategic plan and VfM platform.
- Develop and implement shared strategy across projects in country and value add for clients. Build support for the strategy amongst all country staff.
- Coordinate resources effectively to ensure suitable operations & compliance and risk levels
- Understand the market, development issues/solutions and potential opportunities
- Understand key problems facing country, government and potential clients – in the short, medium and long term
- Lead on marketing initiatives in coordination with knowledge groups & comms
- Tracking of new opportunities (with support of BD Coordinator) & strong decision-making on selection
- Involvement in staffing of projects, sourcing local Associates and ensuring suitably benchmarked rates.