- Organization: Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
- Application Deadline 28 February, 2019
- Required Experience Bachelor's Degree/HND
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) is now accepting applications from young physicists and mathematicians for the 2019-2020 class of the Postgraduate Diploma Programme, an intense, pre-PhD programme for talented students. The one year course of study prepares talented students for PhD studies, as part of the Centre’s efforts to promote advanced scientific research in developing countries.
Each successful class of Postgraduate Diploma students helps bring this dream to life. Students have gone on to PhD programmes all over the world, launching them into successful scientific careers. Two semesters of classes are followed by a research project and dissertation.
Interested students can apply to study in one of five subject areas:
- High Energy, Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Earth System Physics
- Quantitative Life Sciences
The Quantitative Life Sciences course (QLS) is new this year, aimed at providing students with a quantitative and theoretical background that can allow them to access postgraduate programmes in a broad range of disciplines, including biophysics, quantitative biology, and neuroscience, theoretical systems ecology, economics, data science, and machine learning.
The QLS Diploma Programme will focus in two areas, says Antonio Celani, the QLS Diploma Coordinator. “One will be data science, including statistical learning, artificial intelligence, and machine learning,” Celani explains. “The second area focuses more on biophysics, with courses in neuroscience and ecology and evolution.” The courses are designed to give a core theoretical background for analyzing and modeling different phenomena in life sciences. “But all of these courses for the Diploma Progamme use the language of physics and math.”
- In each Postgraduate Diploma Programme, scholarships and travel grants will be awarded to those 10 students selected from developing countries. There are no course fees. Students will receive a scholarship of 450 Euro per month for the entire year of study. Accommodation is provided by ICTP.
- A limited number of qualified candidates who meet the same selection criteria as others may attend the courses at their own cost. They must supply written evidence from a funding agency or a banking institution that funds are available for their entire year’s stay, and are equal to those offered by the Centre.
- The Postgraduate Diploma Programme is open to young (generally below 28 years of age), qualified graduates from all countries that are members of the United Nations, UNESCO or IAEA.
- The minimum qualification for applicants is a degree equivalent to an MSc (or an exceptionally good BSc) in physics, mathematics or in a field related to the topics listed below. The selection of candidates will be based on their university record and on academic recommendations.
- Since the Postgraduate Diploma Programme is in English, fluency in speaking and writing is an essential qualification.
- The applicant is expected to have adequate knowledge of the following topics in the specific field for which he/she is applying:
- For Condensed Matter Physics: solid state physics; quantum mechanics; statistical mechanics; classical mechanics; electrodynamics; mathematical physics.
For High Energy, Cosmology and Astropartical Physics: classical mechanics; electrodynamics; special theory of relativity; quantum mechanics; statistical mechanics.
For Earth System Physics: a theoretical background in physics, mathematics or engineering; mathematical methods applied in geophysics and geosciences.
For Mathematics: basic abstract algebra; elements of real and complex analysis; topology.
For Quantitative Life Sciences: classical mechanics, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, mathematical methods for physics, basic programming skills
In addition to completing an online application form, candidates should upload the following as part of their application:
- Copies of transcripts of university academic records and university degrees in English (The selected candidates will be required to provide originals or certified copies of these documents as well as of their official English translation before he/she can be admitted to the Programme).
- Any certificates or documents that give proof of the student’s ability to follow advanced-level courses, study and write scientific literature in the English language.
- Two letters of recommendation, from senior scientists familiar with the applicant’s studies and work.
If you have problems with the online application, please contact the Diploma Office at email@example.com.