The Engineering for Development (E4D) doctoral scholarships promote doctoral research for the benefit of underprivileged people in low-income countries.
It awards two doctoral scholarships per year and promotes innovative projects that are directly relevant for improving the livelihoods of underprivileged people in low-income countries.
- The grant sum is 175,000 CHF to cover the salary costs of the doctoral students for three years.
- The general entrance requirements for doctoral studies at the ETH Zurich and at the respective department must be fulfilled.
- Experience in the selected research area is required.
- Preference will be given to citizens of Least Developed Countries and other Low-Income Countries according to the OECD DAC-list classification (soft factor).
- The doctoral supervisor must be an ETH Professor and must have a guaranteed ETH position for the entire duration of the proposed project.
- The supervisor confirms his/her commitment to the project by a letter of support, indicating his/her contribution to the project in cash or kind.
The research project
- The proposal is a new doctoral project, not complementary funding to on-going research.
- The research topic is relevant for improving the livelihoods of underprivileged people.
- The ecological, socio-economic and cultural context is taken into account.
- The expected impact of the research is high for the intended target group.
- Projects involving research partners from a low-income country have to be based on the KFPE principles.
- All partners are involved in project formulation and development.
- All partners make a substantial in-kind or cash commitment.
- The project is integrated in the general activities of the involved institutions.
- Preference will be given to projects with partners in Least Developed Countries and other Low-Income Countries according to the OECD DAC-list classification.
Only candidates with the support of an ETH professor are eligible to apply. Please find the application criteria and procedure below.
E4D Doctoral Scholarship Application 2020: Concept Note
Please read the following documents:
Eligibility Criteria and Application Requirements (PDF, 204 KB)
Application Form (DOCX, 35 KB)
Important to note:
- High English proficiency level is necessary
- Maximum age: 40 years
- Excellent MSc Degree and high academic performance is necessary
- ONLY contact an ETH professor with a concrete project idea
Find an ETH professor through the departments and institutes webpage
Send your concept note application in one single pdf file to email@example.com
Read the application requirements here.